Capital Police came into existence W.E.F 1st Jan 1981 by virtue of presidential order no. 17 & 18 of 1980 to fulfill the need for separate Police organization for the federal capital, Islamabad.
To uphold the rule of law with due regard to human rights and human dignity; to serve the people with honesty and efficiency, with courtesy and respect, with commitment and dedication, in striving to achieve the highest professional standards.
- Provide safe, secure and public friendly ecology to the citizens of Islamabad.
- Effective maintenance of law and order.
- Prevention and detection of crime.
- Efficient and smooth flow of traffic on the pattern of advanced traffic systems of the world.
- Protection of VIPs and dignitaries visiting the federal capital, foreign diplomats residing in islamabad and vital installations.
- Intelligence gathering to fulfill the objectives of police, traffic and security.
- Encourage public participation in the fight against crime – CPLC, public conciliatory committees, human rights watch group.
- Help the citizens in times of distress – rescue-15.
- e-Enablement of Islamabad Police
- Computerization of record and office procedures
- Control of torture and abuse of human rights in police station by appointing human rights officer.
- Case of human rights abuse reported this year
- No habeas corpus petition filed in any court
- Proactive policing based on analysis of current crime trends.
- Crime prevention involving local community.
- Alternate dispute resolution – concept already in vogue in Islamabad – public conciliatory committees (pccs)
- Capacity building of police investigators.
- Revamping of anti car lifting cell.
- Public awareness on safe home scheme and car safety plan
- Installation of security gadgets and electronic vigilance cameras through cda and community participation
- Recommendation to regulate businesses like renting property and vehicles