Islamabad Police is regulated by Central Police Office, which involves three Divisions, Islamabad Traffic Police, Islamabad Police Information Technology Branch and centralized command & control center. Total sanctioned strength of ICT Police is 12014, whereas 10632 seats are filled to-date. Commander of the ICT Police is termed as Inspector General of Police, who is senior bureaucrat of Police Service of Pakistan. Current Commander of the ICT Police is Flt . Muhammad Khalid Khattak. Mr. Khalid is a seasoned officer with rich experience of not only field services but as well as financial management and administration. Divisions of the ICT Police are headed by the rank of their respective DIGs, whereas Islamabad Model Traffic Police is headed by the rank of SSP, and the Information Technology Branch by Director-Information Technology. Special Branch an-other specialized entity, which is head Assistant Inspector General of Police. Area of Islamabad is covered by 22 Police Stations.
• Provide safe, secure and public friendly ecology to the citizens of Islamabad.
• Effective maintenance of law and order.
• Prevention and detection of crime.
• Efficient and smooth flow of traffic on the pattern of advanced traffic systems of the world.
• Protection of VVIPs, VIPs and dignitaries visiting the federal capital, foreign diplomats residing in Islamabad and vital installations.
• Intelligence gathering to fulfill the objectives of police, traffic and security.
• Encourage public participation in the fight against crime – CPLC, public conciliatory committees, and human rights watch group.
• Help the citizens in times of distress – rescue-15.
With a population of two million, it is the 10th largest city of Pakistan, while the larger Islamabad-Rawalpindi metropolitan area is the third largest in Pakistan with population exceeding five million.