The concept of Community Policing means participation and involvement of community in entire police management and operational strategies. In line with this, Islamabad Police has developed a community-oriented policing service that uses a synergistic approach to meet the safety and security requirements of the community.
STEPS TAKEN BY ICT POLICE TOWARDS COMMUNITY POLICING
- • ICT Police has been made more accessible and sensitive to community problems.
- • It has been made courteous and polite with public.
- • ICT Police has provided sense of security to the public.
- • It has improved relations between police and public.To improve relations between police and public
- • It has ensured redressal of grievances of the public.
- • ICT Police has resolved minor disputes and non-cognizable cases through citizens’ committees.o resolve minor disputes and non cognizable cases through citizen’s committee
The committees which include community representatives are as under:-
- • Central Citizen Committee (CCC)
- • Rescue-15 Committee (RC)
- • Traffic Committee (TC)
- • Human Rights Officers (HRO))
- • Citizen Police Coordination Committee at Police Stations (CPCC)
- • Security and Vigilance Committee
- • Social Media (Islamabad Police Official Page on Facebook, Twitter, WhatsApp Groups at ICTP community service and IRPIF)
POSTING OF HUMAN RIGHTS OFFICERS
Human Rights Officers (HRO) are posted in each Police Station to facilitate general public.
Their functions are:
- • To monitor activities at the police station and report to CPCC and SSP/Operation through Zonal SPs.
- • To monitor and ensure formal arrest of accused and to present the accused before the court within 24 hours.
- • To ensure that all arrested persons are kept in the lockup.
- • To Provide Free Legal aid/advice, in case of requirement of the accused.
- • To ensure that women are referred to Women Police Station for investigation and detention.
CENTRAL COORDINATION COMMITTEE (CCC)
- • Central Coordination Committee is based in the Central Police Office.
- • It coordinates with all the Committees at the Police Station level.
- • It suggests measures to improve police – public relations and Police Station Culture.
RESCUE-15 COMMITTEE (RC)
- • To work at Rescue-15 for help and assistance of Police Response in case of emergencies.
- • To monitor activities of Rescue-15 and suggest measures for improvement.
- • To suggest steps for the improvement of 15 environment.
- • To organize programs for promotion of police public relations.
TRAFFIC COMMITTEE (TC)
- • To supervise Traffic Volunteers Program and Traffic Kids Program.
- • To monitor Traffic education, environment, enforcement and engineering.
- • To ensure issuance of traffic licensing in a more streamlined manner.
- • To suggest measures to improve traffic management and planning.
CITIZEN POLICE COORDINATION COMMITTEES (CPCC)
- • Such committees are based at Police Station level.
- • It includes non-controversial representatives from all walks of life.
- • CPCC Committee comprises President, Secretary General and Members.
- • It engages police as well in non-cognizable cases like matrimonial cases and family issues.
PUBLIC WELFARE INITIATIVES
- • ICT Police has introduced Online Compliant Management System for swift redressal of grievances.
- • Number of Police Stations has been increased from 18 to 22.
- • Reporting Rooms have been upgraded in 14 Police Stations.
- • Vigilance and Conciliatory Committees have been constituted.
- • Control Room has been established in CPO, Islamabad.
- • Patrolling system has been revamped.
- • New Counter Terrorism Force (CTF) has been raised.
- • Summer Camp activities are conducted every year.
- • Upgradation / Modernization of Police Stations are under process.
- • Upgraded reporting room by ICITAP (International Criminal Investigative Training Assistance Program).
- • Interactive Social Media Platform has been made for active community policing to play role of bridge between police and public.
- • Establishment of Emergency Alarm System (in Media Houses, Schools, Colleges, Universities, Masajids, Imam Bargahs, Hospitals, and other sensitive installations) is a forward-step in the right direction.
- • FM Radio station has been established by Islamabad Traffic Police (ITP).
- • One window operations of Digital Driving License has been initiated.
- • ITP conducts Road Safety Seminars, Quizzes, and delivers lectures in universities, colleges, schools about awareness of traffic rules.
- • Four help units have been established in Islamabad Traffic Police.
- • Family Gala is conducted by ITP every year to promote public and police interaction.
- • ITP broadcasts live traffic streaming with traffic law messages for public awareness and education.
- • ICPOLCOM is under construction at Police Lines Headquarters.
- • Establishment of Services Centre at F-6